Saturday, June 7, 2014

                The first time I ever been out of the country was Canada for a high school choir trip. I know Canada is just over the border, but I count it. It was not until December 2013 when I got to experience going aboard across seas to London.  After the amazing experience in London, I wanted to travel aboard again. So here I am heading into senior year and getting the chance to experience Germany for D-term 2014.
                Out of all the places that I could have traveled to, I decided to choose Germany for a couple of reasons.
                One of the reasons is the wonderful stories I have heard from a family member and a friend.  My aunt has a friend who lives in Germany, so every once in a while my aunt will fly out to Germany and visit her friend. When she returns home, she tells my family and me about her trip. My friend also went to Germany for a school trip and I heard all about it and saw numerous pictures. Hearing stories from both of them I wanted the chance to experience Germany myself and learn too why my aunt and my friend had such a good time over there.
                Another reason why I wanted to study aboard in Germany is both an architecture and historical viewpoint. I am fascinated by castles for they are such vast buildings built hundreds of years ago and many are still standing strong today. These buildings are beautifully designed but also hold a vast amount of history.  When I am Germany, I anticipate learning about each castle of when it was built, who lived there, and the purpose of the castle itself. We do not have castles in the US, so it is breathtaking to see one in real life. After seeing two castles in England, I cannot wait to experience the castles in Germany and see the different architecture and history of them.

Zwinger Castle in Dresden

                To go around Christmas time is also a great treat to be studying aboard in Germany for the Christmas markets. I have been to the Christmas market in downtown Chicago and the one in London. I am looking forward to experience one in the country that the one in Chicago is based on. My aunt told me they are absolutely beautiful and are almost everywhere, but she and her friend love to go to them all the time when my aunt is over in Germany. The Christmas markets are a special treat on the trip for they only happen one month a year and to say that I got to experience one is neat.

An ordainment stand at a Christmas Market

                I am looking forward to studying aboard in Germany and cannot wait for the adventure to begin.

Word Count: 456

No comments:

Post a Comment